Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Cranberry Orange Black Rice

 I found this recipe when we were shopping in Costco on sample day. We tried the sample and really liked how refreshing it was, especially when served cold.  It is also high in antioxidants and very simple to make. I sometimes experiment by using different types of nuts or adding a bit of orange juice to the mix.  If you give it a try, I think you will enjoy it.

 Ingredients:

3 cups cooked  Black Rice - I use Village Harvest I found at Costco

 
2 medium oranges  - Navel oranges work best for me, but use whatever you like best.
 
1/2 cup dried cranberries - I prefer to use the low sugar type by Ocean Spray

1/2 cup chopped chives - Fresh is best

1/4 cup pine nuts - These took me awhile to find but they are so worth it.

salt and black pepper to taste

Instructions

When I first cooked this rice it looked a little strange because the water turned black, but that is normal.
How to cook rice for recipe  - 1 cup black rice - pinch of salt - 1 3/4 cups of water
Stir Rice and a pinch of salt into water in a small sauce pot. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to stand for 5-7 minutes. Uncover, fluff with a fork and serve. Makes about 3 cups of cooked rice.
Every thing else is very simple. Pretty much chop and mix.
  • Zest 1 teaspoon of orange zest and set aside. Remove remaining peal from oranges and cut segments into 1/2-inch pieces. Toss orange segments and zest into a large bowl with cooked black rice. Mix in cranberries, chives and pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve warm or room temperature.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes


 Cranberry Orange Black Rice Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment